FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

A few rookie questions :)

<<

Zavance

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:36 am

A few rookie questions :)

Haya all just a few quick questions, I'm looking to getting me a starter gun and coming out for the odd game here and there but I've hit a few snags .

Snag #1
I read up on the rules and it says you must only use magazines under 100 bb cap ? Does this apply to everyone ir just members ? If everyone could an exception be made for me ? I don't have alot of money at the moment and the only mag that comes with the gun is a hgh cap (winder). If its not okay I be happy to rent some mags if that's possible ?

Snag #2
I don't know where to go about bb's I'm paranoid to put low grade budget (trade me) bb's through my gun? Also I've read a few group rules is bio bb's a must ? Cant recall which club this rule was for.

Snag #3
Ima newbie :)

Any help on the above matters would be hugely appreciated, also if anyone is selling m4 mags low cap id be interested if they are cheap :)
<<

Merlin

TAG Member
TAG Member

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:55 am

Re: A few rookie questions :)

Hi Zavance,

Zavance wrote:Haya all just a few quick questions, I'm looking to getting me a starter gun and coming out for the odd game here and there but I've hit a few snags .

Snag #1
I read up on the rules and it says you must only use magazines under 100 bb cap ? Does this apply to everyone ir just members ? If everyone could an exception be made for me ? I don't have alot of money at the moment and the only mag that comes with the gun is a hgh cap (winder). If its not okay I be happy to rent some mags if that's possible ?

Best thing you can do in all honesty is hold off buying a gun, especially if money is tight (and you're not alone on that front) Airsoft is an expensive hobby, but can be easily managed and stepped into relatively slowly, but buying anything before getting thoroughly involved and trying out several different versions of weapons can be a costly mistake.

I think most people will agree with me when I say that you should save up first. Come out for a good few games, learn what you enjoy as a play style and most of the TAG members will be more than happy to let you have a blast with their weapons as well as the club's array of loan ones. This way you can make sure that whatt you buy first is exactly what you want and will allow you to save enough to get a couple of sub-100 round mags. Depending on what gun you buy, these can be quite cheap.

Zavance wrote:Snag #2
I don't know where to go about bb's I'm paranoid to put low grade budget (trade me) bb's through my gun? Also I've read a few group rules is bio bb's a must ? Cant recall which club this rule was for.

We sell great quality biodegradable bb's at TAG, and we all use these so can say with 100% certainty they won't damage your weapon

Zavance wrote:Snag #3
Ima newbie :)

Not an issue, we all were once
<<

Zavance

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:37 am

Awesome thank you for the quick reply :) I'm not bothered about the gun being high grade, I just want something that shoots and isn't prone to breakages, the one I had on mind was a g&g cm16 raider, its not metal but it has alot of reviews saying its a great first gun. Any thoughts on it ? How much do the bb's cost so I know how much doe to bring ? . Cost isn't an issues its just I have to justify it to the wife -_- "why do you need more then one mag" or "small magazines are stupid" . Very keen to get into the field :)
<<

Merlin

TAG Member
TAG Member

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 am

BBs are $20 for a bag. Depending on the weight depends how many you get, but even the most trigger happy people find a bag lasts a good long while. I think it's around the 2000 bbs mark, but fewer for heavier weight BBs. They work out no more expensive, and possibly even slightly cheaper than buying from the stores, and you're guaranteed they are biodegradable.

Your 1st 4 games are free if you have your own gear, otherwise $20 gets you everything you will need for a full day. Weapon, ammo, safety equipment etc. So you can use the $20 pass as often as you like, until such time that you decide you know what gun you want to get.

The G&G raider isn't one I've personally had experience with. I believe G&G generally copy Tokyo Marui which is ideal for spare parts. You will likely end up having to upgrade a lot of it if you expect it to last, but that is true of even the most expensive brands. It sounds like you're in a similar position to me regarding justifying your purchases to the wife, and if so I would recommend looking at a more expensive 1st weapon as it will cost you less in the long run, and be good to go from the box. Tokyo Marui is a good choice, and can be as cheap as the G&G if you import, but that requires you being a member of an ASNZ affiliated club 1st (such as TAG).
<<

Zavance

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:22 am

Well all things considered I'm going to have to sleep on this haha alot to think about although I have a question say because I'm new etc there is a 350 fps limit, so what major advantage does a high end gun have over a low end gun if the fps has the same limit ? I know you get what you pay for but I'm just curious :)
<<

Merlin

TAG Member
TAG Member

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Zavance wrote:Well all things considered I'm going to have to sleep on this haha alot to think about although I have a question say because I'm new etc there is a 350 fps limit, so what major advantage does a high end gun have over a low end gun if the fps has the same limit ? I know you get what you pay for but I'm just curious :)

Reliability, reliability and some more reliability. Also accuracy and consistency.

That's not to say that some low end guns/cheaper guns don't achieve this, but they don't always achieve it, and you're just as likely to buy a rubbish one as you are a great one.

Most of us run 350fps guns rather than the full 420 as it allows us more freedom for the CQB sites. I for one run my primary at under 350fps.

You should definitely sleep on it. Come and play some games with us and see which guns you enjoy. Feel the difference between high end and lower end weapons, and then you can make your decision based on 1st hand evidence rather than someone else's opinion. Also bear in mind that a lot of reviews come from the US, and they have very different rules at their sites and more often than not it doesn't translate to what we do and have here in NZ, so take with a little pinch of salt.

Hopefully that helps.
<<

Flazzbog

TAG Treasurer
TAG Treasurer

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi dude.

I reckon you should just come out and rent a gun. Have a look around at whats available and it will all start to make sense once you've seen them in real life. Generally if you buy any gun with a version 2 mechbox (most m4s) you can eventually change out every single part you don't like anyway.

G&G M4 is fine for a first gun. You can always get a metal body for it later :) (if you even still want one)
<<

Nematode

TAG Member
TAG Member

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:46 pm

I would second (or third) that. Come out with $20, use a club gun and have a play on the range with some of the members guns. You'll pretty quickly see the difference between budget and less budget gear.

Also I think we have a G&G M4 in the club armoury so you could see what they are like.
<<

Eda

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Jumping on the "come and play a game / try before you buy" bandwagon.

There are cheap guns that are great, and expensive guns that are garbage, so it's worth getting it right the first time :)

Also the G&G Raiders are definitely an OK first gun, you wouldn't be at a massive disadvantage if you showed up with one.
<<

Valox

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:35 pm

I will add as well that most people are more than happy to show off their own guns they have out on the day :) this will let you see a range of options and quality :)
<<

Sneakers

TAG Member
TAG Member

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Also, while the club actively encourages players to use mid cap (under 100) round magazines, if all you have for the moment is a high cap then it won't be an issue.

Come out, have a go, check out the game and make decisions from there.

Return to General