FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Importing Airsoft Shotgun

<<

Fuse

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:53 am

Importing Airsoft Shotgun

Hey i am interested in ordering a shotgun from overseas and i have read that pump shotguns and bolt rifles dont require a permit as there is a loop hole in the arms act. Went to the police station today to inquire but was closed for the holidays. If anyone has any experience with ordering shotguns lemme know, also if you have to still pay GST on gifted items.

Cheers Ollie
<<

Snorlax

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Importing Airsoft Shotgun

Yes, it's technically true that you don't need a permit for bolt action or pump action airsoft guns. Good luck convincing eHobbyAsia or Redwolf of that, though. I've tried and the only place overseas that will ship me a gun sans permit is Echigoya, and I had to email them first to ask.

Also, even if you mark it as a gift, customs know what they're doing and will charge you GST - source: I know someone who knows someone who does all the NZ Customs work for airsoft guns in Auckland. She's not stupid.
<<

Fuse

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:22 pm

oh ho but i have a brother living in japan, will just get it shipped to him from impulse then get him to mabye repackage it :) cheers for the reply
<<

Snorlax

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Yeah, you'll probably still get hit with GST. They charge import fees on items of value equal or greater to $400NZD.
<<

Eda

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:42 pm

If you can sneak the whole thing in under about $350 NZD you should be fine re GST though. As long as it's declared when it enters the country you technically should be fine.

What were you looking at getting?

Return to General